Following the Brexit vote, we’ve seen a dramatic uptick in activity, which has been driven primarily by higher gold and silver prices and a flight to quality. While the summer months are typically our slowest time of the year, desire for gold and silver coins and bullion over the past few weeks has been on par with our busiest times of the year. We’ve recently acquired some new product, which we’ll share with you below, but act fast, as demand has been unusually high for this time of year.
As our name would indicate, we’re as active participant in the gold coin market. Inventory levels change day to day, but below are some of the fresh offerings that we have available at this time:
- American Gold Eagles – American gold eagles are the most popular and traded gold coins in the U.S. While they carry a slightly higher premium than some other gold coins, you can expect to receive a higher rate when the time comes to sell. Not only that, but they’re the only gold coin that is IRA eligible for a self directed IRA in which you take physical possession of the coins. We’ll share some additional information shortly on holding gold and silver coins in an IRA, as this has been a popular topic as of late.
- Canadian Gold Maple Leaf Coins – Canadian gold maple leaf coins were first minted in 1979, which makes them one of the longest running modern gold bullion coins on the market today. Only the South African gold krugerrand, which was first produced in 1967, has a longer track record. This is a highly popular coin due to the fact that the coin has been in production for nearly 40 years and is composed of 24k gold.
- Pre-1933 Gold Coins – As many people are aware, FDR signed into law Executive Order 6102 in 1933 making it illegal for U.S. citizens to hold gold coins. Citizens were required to voluntarily turn in their gold coins for paper currency. The only exception to the order was numismatic or collectible coins. Not until 1975 was it once again legal to own gold coins. An unknown amount of 1933 gold coins were melted; however, fortunately not everyone was compliant with the executive order, which enables us to own a bit of history. At the moment, we have a variety of $2.50, $5, $10 & $20 pre-1933 gold coins in stock.
- South African gold krugerrands – We have a few South African gold krugerrands in stock and are expecting several more to arrive by tomorrow. As mentioned above, South African gold krugerrands were first produced in 1967 making them the longest running modern gold bullion coin on the market today. Furthermore, there have been more South African gold krugerrands produced than any other modern gold coin, making them a popular option no matter in the world you may find yourself.
- American silver eagles – American silver eagles continue to remain the most popular silver coin in the market today. Over the past few years, we’ve seen new record highs in the production of these coins, which points to the high demand for these coins. American silver eagles are great investments, as they are U.S. legal tender, contain one troy ounce of fine silver and are IRA eligible. As with American gold eagles, the premium on these coins tends to be slightly higher than some other silver coin options, but you can also expect to receive a higher rate when the time comes to sell your coins.
- 90% silver coins – The U.S. Mint produced dimes, quarters and half dollars with 90% silver through 1964. Once the price of silver became too expensive, a combination of nickel and copper became the metal of choice for these coins. While demand for 90% silver coins tends to ebb and flow, there’s no denying that this is one of the best ways to invest in silver. The coins are recognizable, contain 90% silver and are U.S. legal tender. As such, they’re a popular investment option for individuals who are interested in acquiring coins at reasonable rates. Furthermore, these are the coins of choice for individuals that are concerned about the potential collapse of the dollar. Due to the fractional denominations, these coins would make an excellent option for bartering until a new currency is established.
- Foreign silver coins – In addition to the above, we also regularly carry one ounce foreign issued coins, such as Canadian silver maple leaf coins, Austrian silver philharmonics, Australian silver kangaroos and koalas and Mexican silver libertads, just to name a few. Government issued silver coins, whether issued in the U.S. or abroad, sell at a slightly higher premium than silver bullion, as these coins are more liquid and recognizable the world over than silver bullion. However, the premiums are typically slightly less than American silver eagles for most foreign issued silver coins.
Keep in mind that the above is just a small sampling of many of the coin and bullion options that we have in stock at Atlanta Gold & Coin. We regularly carry a wide variety of coins and bullion. Not only that, but we’re able to special order for you any items that may be of interest that we don’t have in stock. Over the past month, we’ve special ordered over $100,000 of coins for customers and have access to the largest suppliers in the United States.
If interested in any of the coin and bullion options that we have in stock, or in placing a special order, check our inventory page or give us a call at 404-236-9744. We look forward to hearing from you and earning your business!